Has anyone been able to debug with VS2005?

Jim Hewes jhewesNOSPAM at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 14 08:54:24 PST 2006

"Lionello Lunesu" <lionello at lunesu.remove.com> wrote in message
news:ej6p57$2nhe$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> Actually, I only program D from within VS2005!
>
> I use the vsplugind found on dsource, but that's only needed for building
> right from VS. Just for debugging, you don't need anything. Compiling your
> program using dmd -g will add the needed symbols to the obj/exe and VS
> will understand them! Arrays are shown as 64-bit integers, but when seen
> in hex, it's obvious what part is the count and what the pointer.
> Alternatively, you can take the array's address and cast it to a int*.
>
> For syntax highlighting you should add .d to the extensions list in the
> options dialog, and let VS treat it as C++ or C#. Missing keywords can be
> added using a text-file called usertype.dat with a keyword on each line.
> It goes in the VS "IDE" folder, if I'm not mistaken, but better google to
> duoble check that (no VS2005 here at home).
>
> L.

Thanks, I'll check out the plug-in when dsource is back.
I was able to debug the sample hello.exe app in VS2005 by doing the
following:

1. Load hello.exe into VS2005 as a project. Also, open the hello.d source
file.
2. Press F11 to take one step into the code. Source is not available, so
show disassembly.
3. In the disassembly window, enter the address as "_Dmain" and hit return.
The window will show the mixed source/assembly at _Dmain.
4. In the disassembly window, set a breakpoint at the first line of _Dmain
and hit Go.
5. In the source window, you should now see execution stop at the first line
and you can single step from there.

However, I wasn't able to set breakpoints from the source window. But I
haven't had much time to play with it yet. Hopefuly I can spend more time
next weekend. (Hey! I have a day job.)

Jim