English binary logic operators

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Mon Nov 27 07:34:40 PST 2006

"Don Clugston" <dac at nospam.com.au> wrote in message
news:ek71e0$1ako$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> antonio wrote:
>> Ary Manzana wrote:

>>> I guess the main reason to stick with symbols is some compatibility with
>>> C/C++ source code.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I also like the idea of words instead of symbols. You benefit
>>> from readability and it's also much more simpler to type (i.e. you don't
>>> you shift or look in a new keyboar for them).
>> Well..
>>
>> I'm an spanish programmer:
>>
>>   My code is written using Spanish terms like "valor" vs "value",
>> "irSiguiente()" vs "goNext()"...
>>
>> the best of algebra symbology is the language independence:
>>
>>     [x..y] vs "Between x and y"
>>     x < y  vs "x less than y"
>>     a.b    vs "the b of a"  (Director Lingo used this sintax)
>>     (a)b    vs "cast b to a"
>>     a = b  vs "set value of a to value of b"
>>     a == b vs "a equals to b"
>>     { stamens } vs "begin stamens end"
>>        I'm forced to use the basic english programming syntax: if/else,
>> while, for, foreach, public, private, protected,.... PLEASE: STOP
>> IMPOSING ENGLISH TO THE WORLD... you are not the only one programming
>> here.
>
> I've got a lot of sympathy to this. I'm really surprised that I don't hear
> this view more often.
> I'm currently maintaining some code that was written in Italian, modified
> in German, and now there's some English. It's a pig's breakfast. But
> still...
>
> My feeling is... do not program in a language which you are not fluent in.
> I prefer to try to read Italian written by a native speaker, than a
> garbled attempt at English -- it's horrible to read code that was written
> by someone who was putting more energy into translation, than into
> thinking about their programming problem.
>
> In the open-source Fast Fourier Transform project (www.fftw.org), there's
> a file with code written in Latin.
> :->

I suppose Latin would be great if you want language neutrality.  Might be
politically correct, but not very practical.  I hate to be the bigot here,
but let's face it.  As far as international languages go, English is a
standard.  Sorry, but it's not my fault.  It's just the way it is.

However, if I had it my way we would all be speaking a simpler language.  I
hate English.  A written language should be completely phonetic and
orthogonal.  There shouldn't be silent letters, myriads of exceptions to
rules of thumb, and ridiculous non-phonetic pronunciations.

Back to the topic, adding "and" and "or" wouldn't replace the symbolic
representation.  The symbolic representation would still be valid, so I see
this as a benign addition to D.   It seems it would make a lot of people
happy, and would be easy to do, so I am not opposed to it.

-Craig