Search posts?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Sep 1 04:40:47 PDT 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Sard" <sardaukary at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:ed6j21$2ej1$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> After learning some C++ and finding too much strange behaviour I stumbled
>> upon D and am doing my best to learn it too.
>>
>> Is there a D forum somewhere that can be easily searched?
>
> There is a forum on www.dsource.org, but it's not very big at all.
>
>> Why are you using the newsgroup format.
>
> I ask myself the same question almost daily.

For starters because it is a hierarchical thread system (as opposed to
flat threads), and also because it allows rich clients to be used.

>> The question I have is does D use early binding by default like C++, or
>> late binding like Java (which makes more sense)?
>
> I'm about 85% sure it uses early binding, since it's a statically compiled
> program (i.e. classes are not loaded at runtime like in Java).  I agree that
> a late-bound architecture would certainly be more flexible, but I'm not sure
> what performance and design impacts it would have on the internals of the
> language.

Late/early binding is usually mentioned in the context of method
binding/calling, so as for that, D uses *late* binding by default (which
are called virtual methods), and early binding as an option (non-virtual
  or final methods).
I'm not sure Java's lazy loading of classes counts as late binding.

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student