SDL and a 'proper' forum

xycos xycos at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 1 19:22:33 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 00:46:23 +0000 (UTC),
news:edak8v$308$1 at digitaldaemon.com

> Hi all,
> I'm a relative newbie to C/C++, but I am interested in learning D
> because of its supposed merits over the aforementioned.
>
> I am interested to know how easily I can use libraries such as the
> graphics libraries SDL and GTK/QT.
>
> Rather than an IDE, I would prefer to use my own text editor such as
> EditPlus to compile. Do I have to worry about things like using a
> makefile, or don't headers exist in D? It would be nice for an
> approach where all the info is self-contained in each file, and I can
> just 'include' other .d files easily in that same file (no headers).
> However, if so, how does the compiler intelligently know not to
> recompile already compiled files?
>
> Finally, it would be nice for this site to operate a 'normal' forum
> like phpBB. You can split the forum into topics, and there can be
> threads and such. How about it?
>
> Cheers, Daniel
> http://www.skytopia.com

Hello, Daniel. I'm a bit of a newbie myself, but here goes:

1. Check out DerelictSDL: http://www.dsource.org/projects/derelict.
I'm not sure about GTK/QT, but you might be able to port over the
headers; see http://www.digitalmars.com/d/htomodule.html. Someone else
probably already has, though.

2. No, you don't need header files; and you can do without a makefile
by using the build utility: http://www.dsource.org/projects/build.

3. You can get a newsreader that collapses everything into a topic.;
I'm sure they're availible for Linux.

Good luck,
Best of wishes,
Robert Fraser