C to D, HtoD fails

Steve Horne stephenwantshornenospam100 at aol.com
Sun Sep 10 04:19:41 PDT 2006

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 23:40:47 +0100, Stewart Gordon
<smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>BCS wrote:
><snip>
>> Far is an old hack (part of the standard but ugly as watever) to allow a 16 bit
>> computer to access a 32bit address space without wasting lots of time.

>Under a 32-bit system, there's no such distinction as that between near
>and far pointers.

Being extremely pedantic, I think it's possible to compile for a
memory model with far pointers that are bigger than 32-bit. Even 32
bit processors could have >4GB memory.

Very unlikely, though, at least for applications - apps don't see the
physical address space these days.

--
Remove 'wants' and 'nospam' from e-mail.