Creating a binary?

Oskar Linde oskar.lindeREM at OVEgmail.com
Wed Sep 13 06:17:12 PDT 2006

Hasan Aljudy wrote:

> Peter Thomassen wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Lars Ivar Igesund schrieb am Dienstag, 15. August 2006 22:46:
>>
>>> Ehm, this seems like the pretty printed version of an ELF header
>>> (which is
>>> stored binary btw), much like the one produced by analytical programs
>>> like
>>> readelf. All ELF binaries (whether executables, shared libs or object
>>> files) start like this.
>>

>> I used less to view the compiled file, and obviously less passes the file
>> through readelf or sth. Using cat file | less, everything looks binary
>> :-)
>> My mistake, sorry.
>>
>> Anyway: Why are (striped) binaries at least 150 KB of size, even when
>> doing
>> nothing (void main() { })?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter
>
> 150 KB is big?

My latest stripped DMD (-O -release) generated binary had a code segment
of 18 MB. On the other hand, binaries I write for microcontrollers is
often smaller than 200 bytes (not using D of course). Everything is
relative. :)

/Oskar