writefln and ASCII

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 22:47:26 PDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:35:32 -0700, Steve Horne
<stephenwantshornenospam100 at aol.com> wrote:

> I can say things in a way that causes offense sometimes. I can be too
> strong in defending opinions when I really don't care that much, for
> instance. Picking silly holes in arguments, out of a pure love of
> absurdity. And it doesn't help that I have an overformal way of saying
> things that I've been told is like being lectured at all the time.
>
> I mentioned the word Aspie in another post. That's as in Aspergers
> Syndrome. For info on how and why we end up unintentionally upsetting
> people, try...
>
> http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/
>
> and in particular...
>
> http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/index.shtml
>
> I dare say someone else here has Aspergers, or at least knows someone.
> Everyone does these days. It's not always a big deal. I'm having
> problems, but I really don't want to go on about them here.
>
> Just wanted to make the point that any apparent tone you may pick up
> from what I write is usually random noise. Sure I criticise things,
> but it's not that serious. Almost all humour is based around some kind
> of criticism, directed either inward or outward. I just can't get the
> tone right is all.

Strange.  I didn't find your tone offensive.  It sounded exactly according
to your prior warning -- a little ranting and frustration... no big deal
at all.  No need to blame it on Aspergers.  I've heard much worse here
 from others (which would indicate that this list is full of people plagued
with something much more ominous than Aspergers's). ;)

worry about it.  And if that's the worst Asperger's can do for a person...
well, let's just say you aren't so bad off after all. There are a whole
lot of people NOT "diagnosed" with Asperger's that have a nack for
offending people.  The test of good character is perhaps not whether it
happens or not, but whether one cares enough to make amends once offense
is discovered.  I guess you are merely saying that it's difficult for you
to discover when you've "crossed the line"?  If so... welcome to the
reality of most humans. :D

-JJR