Why is "phobos" hardcoded in DMD

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Tue Apr 17 19:21:09 PDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 07:31:32 +1000, Derek Parnell wrote:

> Hi Walter,
> what is the rationale for having "phobos" hardcoded in DMD?

Maybe I haven't been clear enough. My question above is a sincere one and
not rhetorical. I believe that it is possible that there is a very good
reason for having Phobos hard coded, it's just that I don't know what that
might be and I would like to find out.

> Would there be much work to free this up to make it a configuration item
> instead?

By "configuration item", I am not trying to imply any specific
implementation. Rather I'm just expressing a desire that Walter allows
something external to DMD, but controllable by the developer, to be used to
inform the linker what should be the /default/ library to link against. I
suppose if none is supplied by the developer to DMD that DMD could use
"phobos" as its in-built default name.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)