Python -> Java -> D ?

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 14:32:05 PDT 2007

Kirk McDonald wrote:
> David Finlayson wrote:
>> I am a Python scripter in search of a language with better
>> performance. I do a lot of signal processing in my job and I think
>> I've pushed Python as far as it will go. Recently, I have written a
>> few programs in D and have been impressed with (a) how easy the
>> transition from Python has been, (2) the large boost in performance
>> for my code.
>>
>> Here's the question:
>>
>> Should my second language be a new language like D? Or, would I be
>> better off mastering something more mainstream such as C or C++?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that D is similar enough to Python in terms of
>> abstraction that I might be better off in the long run mastering
>> something lower level such as C or C++, or higher level such as a
>> good functional language like Lisp or Ocaml.
>>
>> I've noticed D is still quite immature in some ways. It has no
>> printed books (a sign of market share) as compared to the dozen os so
>> books written about C/C++ in my specific scientific discipline alone.
>> Also,  the standard library is in flux (Phobos vs Tango) whereas more
>> mature languages have settled down.
>>
>> In short, I like D, but maybe I would be better of learning something
>> else. So, some of you alpha-geeks on this list: would you learn D
>>

> Well, maybe I'm a little biased, but I think Python and D are a potent
> combination. You could do worse.
>
> That said, you might do well by picking up a copy of K&R[1] and learning
> C.  It is good to learn the low-level details of the machine. Also, very
> nearly every library in existence speaks C; it is the closest thing to a
> lingua franca in the programming world. And a lot (but not all) of what
> you'd learn doing C would apply to D (not to mention C++).
>
> [1] The C Programming Language, by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie

I'll second that.  I started out with various flavors of BASIC (first was BASIC/1a on old
Tandy machines), then later learned C in school.  With a working knowledge of C in hand,
I've found picking up nearly any other language rather straightforward -- even languages
notably distant /from/ C.

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls