Still can't understand -profile numbers

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 13:30:16 PDT 2007

Ary Manzana wrote:

> I can't understand why main has a tree time of 64 and someMethod, which
> is invoked by main, has 70. An invoked method can't spend more time in
> total than the function that invoked it. Or yes?
>
> Well, maybe looking at the tree ticks... main has 230, but then again,
> someMethod has 254.

My guess is that is because the timings are very short. In general I
have noticed some irregular behavior, it is a good idea to profile
multiple times.

There are some limitations and reasons for irregular timings written
under the 'notes' section on digitalmars:
http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/trace.html

Finally, on some machines, the windows high performance api can have
bugs (I have such a machine, motherboard issue).