Inline assembler for Dummies

Mike vertex at gmx.at
Sun Dec 2 12:34:57 PST 2007

Thanks to you both. I did that:

long var;
long *pvar = &var;

asm
{
mov EAX, pvar
push EAX
}

for now to find out if at least the concept works :)

So ... the code pushes the pointer to var on the stack and later calls a function which fills var with the (correct) value. Works. Interestingly "mov EAX, [pvar]" does the same thing, although it shouldn't ... it should - as I understand it - push the content of var (which is 0) to the stack, the function should then try to write to address 0 and fail with an access violation. Or shouldn't it? Does [] only dereference registers, not values?

Jarrett: go work on MiniD, you're just answering my questions all day long, you've got better things to do :)

-Mike