Implementing .dup / clone for class hierarchies

guslay guslay at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 12:01:45 PST 2007

Bill Baxter Wrote:

> I like the .dup idea in D, but how do you implement it for a class
> hierarchy?  Are there existing libraries that deal with this problem well?

I came across this thread the other day, that suggest doing bitwise copy of the class for shallow copying. I don't know how safe that is.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/learn/1625.html

Another thread that caught my attention was this one.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/41145.html#N41264

Those threads are a little old. I too would like to know if someone came up with a state of the art solution or an informal naming convention.