Array Lower Bounds

0ffh frank at frankhirsch.youknow.what.todo.net
Tue Dec 18 15:38:11 PST 2007

Mike Marquard wrote:
> Well I was only born in 1978 so I don't have any first hand experience
> and could be wrong but from what I've read Fortran, PL/1, Algol, Simula,
> and Pascal all had this feature. I don't know what Cobol and Lisp used
> but I'm guessing it wasn't base zero.

Well, I know about Pascal, and can't be bothered to look up the other
languages you mentioned. But let's get this straight:

a) You have not enumerated "just about every language that came before
c became popular" here, even remotely. Although a few popular ones.

b) Pascal (and probably all other languages you actually have enumerated)
knows only static arrays! That means it was easy for the compiler writer
to magically vanish the funny offsets away at compile time, which Walter
won't be able to do with D's dynamic arrays.

regards, frank