overloading function with function templates

mstrlu skateBBH at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 15:42:57 PST 2007

Hello,
I  just discovered that its not possible to write a function template with the same identifier as an existing function ( even though the function arguments are different ):

import std.stdio;

void test(int x)( int y ){
    writefln( "tmpl:", x, " val:", y);
}

int test(){
    return 15;
}

int main(){
    writefln( test() );
    test!(2)(3);
    return 0;
}

with gdc 0.24 or dmd 1.023 I get "template_test.d(8): function template_test.test conflicts with template template_test.test(int x) at template_test.d(4)"

in c++ this doesn't seem to be a problem:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

template < int x >
void test( int y ){
    cout << "tmpl:" << x << " val:" << y << endl;
}

int test(){
    return 15;
}

int main(){
    cout << test() << endl;
    test<2>( 3 );
}

works fine.

Isn't it possible to resolve the function templates before checking for ambiguous identifiers in D?  Is there something in the documetation on this subject that I did miss?

thank you