phobos / tango / ares

Wed Feb 7 11:53:25 PST 2007

Henning Hasemann wrote:
> I'm having little difficulties understanding the relationship of those 3.
> Are they all alternatives to each other?
>
> What I know is that phobos is the standard library that provides writeln etc,
> also tango seems to have IO capabilities so could one compile D programs
> with tango instead of phobos?
> When to use which of these?

Phobos is the "default" standard library, provided with DMD (GDC has a
variation of it as well, gphobos).
Tango is a recently released library based partly on Ares and Mango with
influences from some other projects, IIRC.

Which one to use is hard to say at this point. I've been trying out
Tango since its release and I like it but I sometimes miss some parts of
Phobos. Whether this is because Phobos is just more familiar to me or
actually better is hard to say...
If I switch back to Phobos I'll probably miss some parts of Tango ;).