phobos / tango / ares

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Feb 7 18:07:49 PST 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Frits van Bommel wrote:
>
>> Which one to use is hard to say at this point. I've been trying out
>> Tango since its release and I like it but I sometimes miss some parts of
>> Phobos. Whether this is because Phobos is just more familiar to me or
>> actually better is hard to say...
>
> Note that what you miss that you feel you have in Phobos, is very much part
> of the feedback we would like.

I'm having trouble understanding first why Tango had to be made mutually
exclusive to Phobos (is it just changes to object.d? were those really
necessary?)  and if object.d differences are the only reason, then I
still don't really get why most Phobos code can't still be imported as
is or with trivial changes.  For example, phobos' std.path doesn't seem
to have any direct dependencies on the gc API or on a particular version
of object.d.  What's the issue?

--bb