phobos / tango / ares

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Fri Feb 9 01:28:23 PST 2007

Ralf Schneider wrote:

> "Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar at igesund.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:eqdcp0$r0s$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>> Frits van Bommel wrote:
>>
>>> Which one to use is hard to say at this point. I've been trying out
>>> Tango since its release and I like it but I sometimes miss some parts of
>>> Phobos. Whether this is because Phobos is just more familiar to me or
>>> actually better is hard to say...
>>
>> Note that what you miss that you feel you have in Phobos, is very much
>> part
>> of the feedback we would like.
>
> I prefer the string function of phobos over the one provided by Tango.
> A D implementation of the Python string functions (with the same names) I
> would find great.
>
> - Ralf

Whereas there is much good in the python api, I personally don't think
mimicking it in D for the sake of it is the correct approach. Inspiration
is another matter. Tango have many string functions, and they may be added
to if needs be, but we will do our best to make sure that they are
efficient and consistent with the rest of the naming.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net