System Resource Usage

Mmcdermo morganmcdermott at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 12:42:30 PST 2007

Hi there,
   I'm working on a function that determines what percentage of basic
resources (CPU, memory, etc) the calling application is using (on *NIX,
but eventually for windows as well). So far the best solution I've come
up with is to use the ps utility, but I'm not sure what method I should
use to retrieve the output. I could have it output to file or pipe the
output somewhere, but all of this seems extremely awkward for such a
simple task. Are there some libraries out there that could assist me
with this, or is there at least a simple way to retrieve the output from
  ps?

  Thank you very much for your time,
   ~Morgan McDermott