Version 1.0 or Version 2.0?

Michael Kiermaier michael.kiermaier at gmx.net
Fri Jul 6 01:46:34 PDT 2007

Frits van Bommel Wrote:
> > What would you recommend?
>
> Depends on what you want. If you want something to work without code
> modification 1.0 would be the way to go. For cutting-edge features (see
> below) go with 2.0, but be aware that this comes at the cost of possibly
> breaking backwards compatibility in newer versions.

Thanks for your answer.
Of course I want both:
Cutting-edge features AND stability :)

But I understand that it is not possible at the moment.
So I think I will use 1.0 for now.

> > Some more specific questions:
> > Is there a list of the language changes from 1.0 to 2.0?
>
> Currently it's mostly stuff to do with final/const/invariant and the
> fact that class invariants now need "()" to be added to avoid an
> ambiguity caused by this.
>
> For a complete list (and changes in future versions, once they
> materialize), compare the changelogs for the 2.0 and 1.0[*] branches
> (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html and
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html#new1_017, respectively).
> For this purpose, you can probably ignore the "Bugs Fixed" sections and
> focus on "New/Changed Features".
>
> [*]: starting at 1.017

ok.

In my opinion it would make sense to have a seperate list which documents the language changes from 1.0 to 2.0.

~Michael