Installing DMD on linux

torhu fake at address.dude
Sun Jul 8 12:13:33 PDT 2007

Anders Bergh wrote:
> On 7/8/07, torhu <fake at address.dude> wrote:
>> I have a hard time believing that a default Ubuntu install is unable to
>> build C applications.  So the problem has to be something else.
> Just try it. Every time I installed Ubuntu I had to install
> build-essential for compiling to work.

I'll try it the next time I boot into ubuntu.

I'm actually using wubi-installer.org, which I'm quite happy with.
Almost hassle-free linux/windows multiboot, it doesn't touch the MBR or
partition tables at all.

I spent four hours trying to get vmware player and vmware server to work
properly.  Not a pleasant experience, and it installs some stuff that
slows down windows startup a lot.  I just need linux for testing
cross-platform code and build systems.

Someone should file a bug telling Walter to fix the linux DMD install
instructions.  Just putting softlinks in /urs/local/bin does not work,
because dmd won't find the phobos source that way.  Either dmd.conf has
to be fixed, or you have to put dmd/bin in your path instead of
softlinking.  I'm just mentioning it, in case someone feels like taking
on that crusade. ;)