best replacement for - cout << "hello D" << endl; ?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Jul 11 01:05:55 PDT 2007

Bruce Adams wrote:

>> import tango.io.Stdout;
>>
>> void main()
>> {
>>     int x = 6;
>>     Stdout("X is: ")(x).newline;
>> }
>>
>> Like in C++ streams, each item is outputted separately, and uses its own
>> method overload, avoiding runtime type identification.  Objects which read
>> use the same syntax (called "whisper" for reasons I don't entirely
>> understand ;) ).
>>
> That is so ugly. I haven't found a page on operator overloading yet but there must be better choices availabe. Even ++ as a binary operator would be better.

Some folks actually really dig it.  I can't say I'm a huge fan, but I'll
admit it looks better to me << than << "lots" << of << "<<" <<
everywhere << endl.

About enforcing type safety at compile time, I don't think doFormat does
any compile time checking.  As far as I know, the only compile time
formatters are experimental things, based on the growing CFTE string
parsing functionality in D.

--bb