best replacement for - cout << "hello D" << endl; ?

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 05:05:44 PDT 2007

"Bruce Adams" <tortoise_74 at ya.nospam.hoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:f720t3$6m5$1 at digitalmars.com...

> What is "dout" for? When would you use it instead of stdout?

dout (in std.cstream) is a Stream (std.stream) wrapped around the C stdout.
Basically it just provides an object-oriented interface to it.  Look up
std.stream.InputStream/OutputStream/Stream for info on the methods that it
supports.

> That is so ugly. I haven't found a page on operator overloading yet but
> there must be better choices availabe. Even ++ as a binary operator would
> be better.

I don't know what to say.  I think << and >> look terrible.  To each his
own.