Using PostgreSQL with D.

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Jul 12 14:15:50 PDT 2007

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Joshua,
>
>> I am working on learning D right now (comming mainly from c/c++/java
>> background) and I was wanting to use PostgreSQL in my app. I've been
>> spoiled by java for so long that I am amazed that its been so hard to
>> find any info on getting postres to work with D.
>>
>> About the closest I've come is trying to get DDBI to work but the
>> libpq.lib file that comes with postgres in the /ms directory does not
>> seem to link correctly. Some info seems to indicate that I need to get
>> VC++ and convert the lib then convert it again using a tool that I
>> would need to purchase.
>>
>> Does this sound correct? Am I just missing some postgres driver in
>> Tango (the std library I use) that I just need to import and I missed
>> it in the API?
>>

> I've never done it but if the code you want to run is in a .dll then
> there is a tool (IIRC free from digitalmars) that makes a DMD style .lib
> from a .dll.

Right.  "implib" from the Basic Utilities Package:
  http://ftp.digitalmars.com/bup.zip
  http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/implib.html

> If the code is actual in the .lib then I think there is another free
> tool for converting MS style stuff to digitalmars style.

Not a free tool, but part of the Extended Utilities Package, which is
only $15. It's called coff2omf.
   http://www.digitalmars.com/eup.html
   http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/coff2omf.html
 From what I hear this only works on certain flavors of coff files, so