separate and/or independent compilation

Myron Alexander someone at somewhere.com
Thu Jun 7 17:19:03 PDT 2007

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Myron Alexander" <someone at somewhere.com> wrote in message
> news:f49mt6$1t6d$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> In D, the import statement imports a compiled module, not source.

>> In one sentence, modules provide the functionality of #include (and so
>> much more) but with "special" binaries rather than source.
>
> Not exactly.  When you import a module, it will only ever look for a source
> file (.d or .di).  It never looks for compiled modules.  Once it finds a
> source file, it will lex it, parse it, and do enough semantic analysis to
> extract the symbol table, which can then be used from the current module.

Thanks for the clarification, I misunderstood how modules work.

Please correct me if the following is incorrect:

Modules are not included in the current source as part of the source
(like #include does) but the module (.d) or module interface (.di) is
parsed for declarations and module constructor/destructor/static methods.

Thanks,

Myron.