Q: DSSS: Library name being prefixed with S

Kirk McDonald kirklin.mcdonald at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:04:47 PDT 2007

Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>
>>> Just out of interest, do you have any pointers, on hand, as to why
>>> rebuild is better than bud? It does look like bud is not being developed
>>> but I have not had much experience with the tools yet.
>>>
>>> Thanks ahead,
>>>
>>> Myron.
>>

>> One reason why I've started moving over to rebuild is -oqPATH.  This
>> tells rebuild to put the intermediate object files into the PATH
>> directory with fully qualified names (aka: Gregorian Notation).
>>
>> The problem with bud is that, if I remember correctly, you either put
>> the object files with the source files (which sticks them all over the
>> bloody place), or all in one directory where you can get name clashes.
>>
>> That said, bud is slightly easier to use directly from the command line
>> because you can have +targets.
>>
>>     -- Daniel
>

> Actually (as I recall) you can avoid the clashes by passing bud both of
> -odPATH and --op (note double-dashes) which will recreate the packaging
> of modules as a directory tree rooted at PATH.  Not neccessarily as good
> as "Gregorian Notation" (which I still wish the compiler would adopt),
> but usable.
>
> -- Chris Nicholson-Sauls

This breaks as soon as you specify any source files as their absolute
path. (I forget all the details; it's been a while since I went and
worked all this out.) If Bud is unable to determine a sensible relative
path, it defaults to placing the object file alongside the source file.
(Which causes the usual litany of problems.)

--
Kirk McDonald
http://kirkmcdonald.blogspot.com