compile time class introspection?

Serg Kovrov kovrov at bugmenot.com
Fri Jun 15 11:39:48 PDT 2007

janderson wrote:
> I disagree, I think an orthogonal design like D is a good thing in many
> cases.  It means that you don't have to learn so many keywords and are
> more likely to determine the syntax yourself.  It also means code is
> generally easier to maintain due to generalization because you can often
>   reuse the code in more different ways then originally intended.
>
> I don't regard the solution given as a hack it seems pretty obvious to
> me.  Either way it would have to be documented.  If you don't like it,
> write a wrapper template.
>
> Also I don't think good orthogonality means the language has to get more
> complex.  I think its about making the common coding primitives easy to
> use however also making them powerful enough if the user wants to extend
> them to something that is less common.
>
> -Joel

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "orthogonal design", and what
it has to do with code reuse? I was talking about language facilities,
something not available as user or library code.

I just want to say I like idea of language features to be thoughtfully
designed, as opposite to accidentally discovered side-effects. I have to
say I don't really care about actual origin of a feature, but rather
what it feels like.

-- serg.