New User Questions

Kirk McDonald kirklin.mcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 20:12:33 PDT 2007

Mike wrote:
> I've downloaded the dmd d compiler for Win32 but I have a few
> questions about how to use the compiler, before I install it and try
> it out. How do you actually use this thing? Do you write text files
> then pass command line instructions to tell the compiler what text
> files to compile

Yes, this is right.

> or is there some sort of IDE that goes with this?

There are a few IDEs which can use DMD. Here's a list of editors:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport

In terms of IDEs, I gather Code::Blocks and Eclipse (with Descent) have
pretty good D support.

Personally, I just use vim in conjunction with rebuild (which is part of
DSSS):
http://www.vim.org/
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsss

> Also I've seen some IDEs listed on google for d, can you use in a way
> similar to say the .net IDE? For instance are all of them just text
> editors or can you compile it from the program and do any of them
> have debuggers with breakpoints ect..? If any of you guys could
> recomend one to try.

See above. As for debuggers, the most up-to-date is probably ddbg:
http://ddbg.mainia.de/releases.html
Some IDEs (particularly Code::Blocks) can act as a front-end to ddbg.
(ddbg has a gdb compatibility mode, and might work in any IDE which can
use gdb.)

> One other question. If I make a program using the dmd compiler does
> it have to be open source since part of the d compiler is under the
> gpl or would that just apply to people making other d compilers?

Using DMD does not imply anything at all about the programs you create
with it. License issues only kick in if you create software derived from
the DMD front-end. This might include another D compiler (viz. GDC) or
other utilities which use parts of the front-end (viz. rebuild).

If I remember correctly, the DMD front-end is dual-licensed under both
the GPL and the Artistic license.

--
Kirk McDonald
http://kirkmcdonald.blogspot.com