dmd or gdc install on Ubuntu AMD64

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 08:40:05 PDT 2007

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> (DMD's a bit trickier to install on AMD64; like I said in the thread you
> linked, the only way I got it to work was in a 32-bit chroot)

I tried to do this recently and failed to get it right.  Doing this kind
of thing makes me nervous that I'll screw up my system.  What's the
right way to do it?

I found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24575
Through step 3 seemed to work flawlessly (when modified for Feisty).
Step 4 appeared to work, even if I didn't understand the nuiances of
what it was doing, but then in step 5, apt-get wasn't working.

I tried to see if I could get away without that kind of stuff and just
use DMD, but I didn't have the right packages installed and needed to
add more.  Rather than get them all manually, I'd like to be able to use
the built-in packaging utilities.