Help with Template Code

John Demme me at teqdruid.com
Fri Mar 30 19:15:33 PDT 2007

Hey all!

There's a particular problem I'm trying to solve using templates.  I don't
see a reason that the compiler couldn't do this, but I'm not certain I can
do it with templates yet.

Here's a slightly simplified pseudo-code-ish version of what I want to do:

T inst(T : struct)(T.tupleof t);

Yes- this makes no sense, so let me describe.  I want to create a templated
function wherein the template argument is a struct... OK, that's easy.
Next, I want the parameters of the function to be the types in the struct.
For example, if I have the following struct:
struct Foo {
        int a;
        float b;
}

then the following call:
Foo f = inst!(Foo)(5, 8.26)
would pass the Tuple!(int,float)(5, 8.26) into the inst function.  No, it's
not OK to add stuff so the calling code, but the inst function can be as
ugly as necessary.

I feel like this should be possible, but I don't know how... Any ideas?

Thanks

--
~John Demme
me at teqdruid.com