Cannot make a personalized exception

Mon May 14 11:52:58 PDT 2007

Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>> Reply to Vermi,
>>
>>> sorry for my english.
>>
>> Why is it that only the forever who have good English apologies for
>> it?  :b
>
> I've often wondered.  In fact, one of my personal friends with the best
> command of the language is a Netherlander.  (Sure their language isn't
> as far off, but still.)  I think the common -- albeit accurate -- axiom
> of "English is the hardest language to learn" makes them more
> self-conscious, perhaps?  Somebody set us up the bomb.  All your base
> are belong to us.

Well, over here in the Netherlands English is a required[1] course for 6
to 8 years[2] of school, so the Dutch speaking English relatively well
(on average) is not entirely unexpected. Also, the master's phase of
university education is now taught entirely in English.

By the way, I've heard that /Dutch/ is actually one of the hardest
languages to learn[3]...

[1] Or at least, it was for me. I'm not sure what it's like right now,
they overhauled the education system just after my year...
[2] Depending on the "level" of education you're attending.
[3] (as a second language)