64 bit types and C libraries

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Tue May 22 06:49:22 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I am throwing my hand at writing D ports of the OpenSSL libraries.  It looks like a mammoth task but I figure I'll just chip away at it a piece at a time.

This seems like the right time to ask if anyone else is having a go at it, or wants to give me a hand.  I've actually just got a job (yay me) but wont start for a bit (11th June) so I have some spare time.  Once I start work I wont have as much time so it would be good to find someone else who can help.

In the meantime I have reached a point where a type PQ_64BIT is used.  Looking at the headers it appears this type is defined differently for each system/compiler based on whether they have a 64 bit type, so on windows using M$ compilers etc it is __int64 for example.  In the rest of cases it is a custom BIGNUM struct.

My question is this.. what the heck do I put in my D port when I see this type used?

In D, long is a 64 bit type, but... I'm not writing new code I am writing a wrapper so I need to put the actual type the C library is using (was compiled using), otherwise any struct using PQ_64BIT might be the wrong size and disastrous things might happen.

Am I understanding this correctly?

It seems that I can probably get away with swapping PQ_64BIT for long in the short term, as I suspect my library was compiled with a 64bit type, not the BIGNUM struct...

Thoughts?