Question about libraries

Wed May 30 04:58:49 PDT 2007

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> In this case, /exet:nt means "EXEType: Windows NT" (i.e. XP),
> /su:windows:4.0 means "SUbsystem: Windows 4.0" (i.e. XP again, unless
> someone really pedantic wants to tell me otherwise).

You called? :)

Windows NT 4.0 was just that, Windows NT 4.0.
Windows NT 5.0 was marketed under the name Windows 2000.
Windows NT 5.1 was named Windows XP.
Vista is the marketing name for NT 6.0.

NT 4.0 executables should work on all of the above though.

> So it's telling the
> linker we want to make a Windows executable.  This will prevent any command
> prompt from flashing up when your EXE starts, or something like that.

Actually, it shouldn't "flash up". It'd be visible the entire time the
program was running (unless perhaps it makes some obscure API call to
get rid of it).
Console windows "flashing up" is more typical for console applications
not started from the console; the application often terminates quickly
when no command-line parameters are given, causing the console to almost
immediately disappear again.