Conditional behavior within makefiles

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Nov 13 11:46:19 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> There doesn't seem to be a tools newsgroup so I figured I'd just post
> this here.  Does the DigitalMars make tool support conditional behavior
> with ifeq and the like?  And more importantly, is there any equivalent
> for the GNU MAKECMDGOALS variable?  I'm trying to change makefile
> behavior based on the target specified and am not really sure how to
> proceed.

You probably know this much, but I'll say it anyway.  The free make tool
that comes with DMD/DMC doesn't support much of anything.  The version
that comes with the Extended Utilities Package or the DMC CD-ROM
supports more features.  I *think* the for-fee one has conditionals.
And I'm almost certain you're out of luck with the free one.

But there are many ports of gnumake to Win32, so why not just use that?

--bb