Install/Uninstall using DSSS

Christian Kamm a at b.c
Thu Nov 15 08:33:50 PST 2007

> Not understanding something about how this program works. Why would the version
> of the program being installed be hard coded into DSSS? For instance I used DSSS to
> install DMD today and it installed "Digital Mars D Compiler v1.018" even thought the latest
> stable version is v1.023.

It used to grab the 'officially stable' dmd.zip from digitalmars (which is 1.015, it seems). Gregor changed it to DMD 1.018 a few months ago. That there's no dmd-latest is my fault: I told Gregor I'd add it and keep it updated, but failed to do so.
After some attempts, making the installation and unstallation work properly across platforms and cooperative with phobos/tango installations seemed to require more effort than it's worth.

> Speaking of which, there are the locations from which the program does it's installations:
>
> 1) http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dsss/sources
> 2) http://dsss.brainsware.org/sources
>
> Why wouldn't DMD be installed from ftp.digitalmars.com?

It is.

Christian