GUI and non-GUI stream usage?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 09:12:00 PST 2007

"Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote in message
news:fhnqbq$1dns$1 at digitalmars.com...
> It seems all the dout, derr streams defined in std.cstream throw
> exceptions if they're unable to write their output.
>
> I find that unexpected and quite annoying.  From my experience such IO
> stream classes for dealing with console IO always just ignore writes if
> there is no console attached.

Annoying purely because you're not used to it, or for some other reason?

> Is there a good reason for it to behave the way it does?  Or should I file
> a bug on it?

It probably isn't a bug.  If an application can't write to a file or
external device when it needs to, it's a serious error.  To suppress the
error in the particular case where it's stdout or stderr you're writing to
would be an inconsistency.

Stewart.

--
My e-mail address is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies
on the 'group where everybody may benefit.