GUI and non-GUI stream usage?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Nov 18 12:46:28 PST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
>>> It seems all the dout, derr streams defined in std.cstream throw
>>> exceptions if they're unable to write their output.

Correction: I just realized that dout does *NOT* throw an exception, but
derr does.  Whether exceptions should be thrown or not, that seems like
inconsistent behavior to me.

> Failing that, I guess if there's a way I can freopen stdout/stderr to
> /dev/null on Windows that will do it.  I'll give that a try.

This does seem to work, for anyone who's interested.

version (Windows) {
     std.c.stdio.freopen("Nul", "w", derr.file);
}

And the exceptions go away.

In the bigger picture it would be nice if I could rebind dout and derr
to a different Stream so that I could write a GUI StreamLogger class.
 From the rumblings I hear, I'm guessing that sort of thing is probably
possible in Tango?

--bb