GDC for dummies

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Nov 24 15:19:05 PST 2007

Time again to ask 'dumb' questions (maybe it's just a problem of searching paths).

So far I have failed in the install of GDC (despite already having MinGW correctly working, I use it quite often), so I have followed the instructions.

This page:
http://gdcwin.sourceforge.net/

Says:
"You need to have regular Minimalist GNU for Windows already installed,"

So I have used this online installer (to install it again ;-) ):
http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mingw/MinGW-5.1.3.exe
I have chosen to download the make and the C++ compiler.

Even if it's an ugly path, to avoid possible (silly) problems I have accepted its suggested path:
C:\MinGW

(I have seen that it adds nothing to the path variable, that's probably wrong for such installer).

Then I have installed this:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gdcwin/gdc-0.24-gcc-3.4.5.exe

Installed in:
C:\languages\D\GDC

Again I can't see path variable updated, nor any bat file that updates it on the fly for a specific shell. So what ambient variables do I have to set, and what paths I do have to add to the 'path' variable to make gdc work? I can't see docs or helps that list them.

(I have no Perl installed yet, I usually use Python because it's better for most things, but I may end installing ActivePerl too if it's useful).

I have tried to add most things to the path:

PATH=C:\MinGW;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\lib;C:\languages\D\GDC;C:\languages\D\GDC\lib;C:\languages\D\GDC\bin;C:\WINNT;C:\MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5;

Then I have tried to compile a tiny D Fibonacci program:
gdc fib.d -o fib

But it can't find this:
ld: crtbegin.o: No such file: No such file or directory

Note that crtbegin.o is currently here, in the path:
C:\MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5

Detailed suggestions are very welcome. If you need more info about the system I can give it too.

Bye,
bearophile