converting numbers to strings and back

dominik aha at aha.com
Fri Oct 5 20:56:44 PDT 2007

I was trying, for fun and learning, to do some PHP style trash programming.
Basically, I wanted to convert float to string, and string back to float. I
did make it work, but not as documentation said I should. Look at the
commented out line in example I made.

I'm trying to learn D (I'm coming from HEAVY C and PHP background), so I
occasionally post questions which might seem retarded. I'm sorry, and thank
you for your patience and help :)

Documentation for D is still pretty sparse on the interwebtubes - luckly
this newsgroup is pretty active and helpfull. Is there a place where D
documentation is centralized? Like php.net for PHP for example - which I
find the most usefull documentation formats for any language (including
standard library) I've been working with. I have found several places on
net, but none seem to be active and/or full of information. I'd like to
contribute as I'm learning, so others can find more information easily.

import std.stdio;
import std.string;
import std.conv;

void main(char[][] args) {

 float fFloat = 214.4;
 float fBack = 0;

 char[] cTest = std.string.toString(fFloat);
 writefln(cTest);

 // fBack = to!(float)(cTest); // this does not work! Why?
 fBack = toFloat(cTest);
 // This does work, but docs say it will be deprecated
 // because to!(T) supercedes it.
 writefln(fBack);