Has truth of arrays always acted like this?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Oct 14 17:48:18 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> I could have sworn there was a big discussion just recently about how
> "null" and "empty" were the same thing with D arrays and some people
> were arguing that should change.  But at least with the most recent D
> v1.022, it seems the truth value of uninitialized and empty arrays *are*
> different.  Has it always been that way?

I think maybe the discussion I was remembering was about comparison with
null.  Indeed (a==null) is true for both uninitialized *and* length==0
arrays.

That seems completely backwards to me.  If anything, a==null should be
the one that checks if a has a buffer allocated at all, and if(a) should
be the one that checks for any form of emptiness.

Barring that, they should just behave the same.

--bb