why do you like D?

dominik aha at aha.com
Fri Oct 26 08:38:38 PDT 2007

ok, I am risking of being lame - but I simply had to share this with
someone.. here is a small list (not tied to the language itself):

- every single source code project I have downloaded (or through SVN co)
compiled from the first try! (this is what motivated me to post this er..
post).. I know it may sound lame - but this is "big" to me, used to C and
C++.. compiling everything from source (including libs), managing linking
etc.. everything just worked
- bud :) so simple, so powerfull .. haven't tried dsss yet though. I'm
compiling everything through CLI
- DFL - do I need to say anything on this gem? Entice for forms design is
also awesome - simple, elegant, works!
- Derelict - this library actually motivated me through examples to try D

I code through UEdit32 and compile everything by hand with bud - it just
works! My code is an order of magnitude simpler than in C and speed of
execution is on par - compile time.. wow

there is probably more stuff I forgot to write.. but in general, what I
think D lacks for broader adoption is one major application or "style" of
applications which would bring wider exposition.