still confused about call by reference

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 16:48:34 PDT 2007

"Hoenir" <mrmocool at gmx.de> wrote in message
news:fgb3h9$2q19$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> You can read all about it in "Dynamic Initializaion of Structs" here:
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/struct.html
> Thanks a lot for that link!
> Though I don't really get the purpose of opCall. For normal member
> initialization struct literals are completely sufficient. opCall would
> just make sense as a copy constructor, but this does not work.

Struct literals were added after static opCall was 'blessed', so static
opCall was the only way to fly for a while.  Even then, the dynamic struct
literals use a completely different syntax from the static struct
initializers (another big *sigh*).  But it's still useful to have a
constructor function to i.e. check valid values, perform preprocessing on
the values, fill in other members based on values that you give, etc.