New to D, path errors under WinXP

Kirk McDonald kirklin.mcdonald at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 13:29:23 PDT 2007

Johannes wrote:
> First, is there any way other than Web-News to search the D forum
> archives? Or any way of making an inclusive search with Web-News?
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to compile some examples under D for Windows,
> under Windows XP SP2. I've placed the files in the proper places in
> C:\DM, C:\DMD and C:\D\LIB and C:\D\IMPORT. (I know DOS well) I've
> also set up the path to the C:\DM\BIN and C:\DMD\BIN dirs.
>
> Somehow the D compiler can't find the Import modules no matter what,
> unless I copy them all to the same folder.

Where did the c:\d\ directory come from? I think you're making this more
complicated than it is: Just extract dmc.zip somewhere, then extract
dmd.zip to the same place. Add dm\bin and dmd\bin to the path, and
you're done.

> Does D work for Windows or is it an untested source release?

Windows is DMD's primary platform.

> Is there any way of explicitly specifying the path of a module in the
> .D file?

No. You just need to make sure the module is on the import path, which
is specified with the -I option. The default import path includes
dmd\src\phobos (where the standard library lives), and the current
working directory.

--
Kirk McDonald
http://kirkmcdonald.blogspot.com