will traits deprecate Object/Interface/ClassInfo/OffsetTypeInfo...?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 02:01:17 PDT 2007

dennis luehring wrote:
> source:
>   http://www.digitalmars.com/d/phobos/object.html
>   and page 44 of WalterAndrei.pdf presentation
>
> "...Run-time reflection can then be done in a library based on
> compile-time reflection..."
>
> does that mean that most of the Object/Interface... stuff will be
> deprecated then? most of the feature are runtime-reflection based, or?
>
> ciao dennis

I doubt it.  I mean, without basic RTTI, you can't do object casting
safely.  You can't use structs as keys in AAs.  You can't convert
structs to strings[1].

Rather, I suspect the new traits stuff will complement and expand on
what we can do at runtime.

	-- Daniel

[1] Well, you can't do this in Tango, either.  But that's neither here
nor there :)