Puzzle 8-10-08 (answer)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Aug 12 04:45:15 PDT 2008

Koroskin Denis:
> Yes, it is. And Walter writes it on his own :(

I think there can be ways to reduce such complexity (and add a compile-time GC).

I think in a short time LLVM will become good enough as backend for D (what are the practical problems left that make this adoption possible? In my benchmarks (all the Shootout C benchmarks) LLMV isn't efficient as GCC yet, but it's probably already more efficient than the backend of DMD so that's not a problem, and it's open source), what I mean it can become the backend for the official D compiler developed by Walter (and the D community). (side question: can the front-end for LLMV be written in D? I hope so).

Does Walter oppose moving to develop with this back-end? I think it will lead to solve some of the main current problems in the D development process (such switch can be aligned to a switch to phobos+tango too).

Bye,
bearophile