Help with GDC and/or DMD for Linux and Code::Blocks

Brendan O. brenzie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 08:56:14 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

> "Brendan O." <brenzie at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:g99n89$2r14$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > On my Linux machine, I installed gdc through a package manager and it
> > works perfectly with Code::Blocks without hassle. In the terminal, here's
> > what I got when doing 'gdc --version':
> >
> > *******
> > gdc (GCC) 4.2.3 20080225 (prerelease gdc 0.25 20071215, using dmd 1.022)
> > (Ubuntu 0.25-4.2.3-2ubuntu2)
> > Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> > PURPOSE.
> > *******
> >
> > Obviously dmd 1.022 is old. Is it possible to have gdc use dmd 1.034?
> >
> > Or, even better, how exactly do I get C::B to work with my current dmd
> > 1.030? And how do I update to 1.034?
> >
> > Or, even more better, is there a DEB package that easily installs dmd
> > 1.034 for me, after which C::B easily detects it?
>
> GDC has not been officially updated in around a year.  What is in the trunk
> of the GDC source repository I believe is fairly up-to-date, somewhere
> nearer to 1.033 or 1.034.  But I have not had any experience installing a
> more up-to-date version of it as everything I've done has worked fine with
> 0.24 (based on DMD 1.020).

Then I guess I'll have to use DMD instead of GDC. I've not had much luck before getting it to work with a manual installation, even though I followed the instructions on the site to the letter. I had to work around it a bit, and then it just didn't work as expected.

Suppose I have a .deb file of an older DMD and install it, how do I update it manually to 1.034? Do I just replace the DMD executable and libphobos.a or is this foolish thinking?

On another note, another question: is anyone maintaining fresh .deb files at all for DMD? I don't know how it works, but I'd be willing to learn to put together a .deb for every new version and send it along so it can be put on the site. This way, frustration to newcomers can be spared. If it works out, consider it my contribution to D :)