Which text editors REALLY support D? [Wiki EditorSupport]

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sun Aug 31 04:23:40 PDT 2008

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>
>> IDEs
>> * Must have semantic features, or a GUI-builder, or good debugger
>> integration.
>> An example of a semantic feature would be code completion (but not
>> just completion of D keywords, which is merely syntactic).
>> If it is a plugin for an IDE (such as Visual Studio), but the plugin
>> itself only has editor features, place an appropriate note, or don't
>> put it in the IDE category, as you feel appropriate.
>

> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport#Othereditors
>
> Code::Blocks, while being a C/C++ IDE that kinda thinks that DMD/GDC
> are some weird "compilers", does have most of the basic IDE features.
> It does allow you to create projects and edit code, and it allows you
> to build with DMD or GDC and run and debug them with for instance GDB.
>
> So shouldn't it be listed among the D IDE's ? Theoretically it even
> has a GUI builder with wxSmith and wxD, although no template just yet.
> (the builder writes xml-based "XRC" files, which can be loaded by wx)
> And it's also cross-platform and free software, which is rather rare.
>

> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport#IDEEditorsthatsupportD
>
> I added Xcode to the IDE list, since it does have lexing and completion.
> http://michelf.com/projects/d-for-xcode/ (does require Mac OS X though)
>
> --anders

Xcode seems to clearly belong in the IDE category, but dunno about
Code::Blocks, I don't know it that well. It depends in the level of
integration, and for your description of it, it seems to be about in the
middle. It could be placed in the IDE category, with a note saying it
has few D-specific features. Well, let those who use Code::Blocks say
what they think is more appropriate. :P

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate