Shared libraries/DLLs

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 06:26:56 PST 2008

"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fo1ufl$11if$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at simplemachines.org> wrote in message
> news:fo0p7c$1tbq$1 at digitalmars.com...

> As in having DLLs link to symbols exported from the app?  Right, it's not
> possible without some hackery.  I'm not sure how to do it but apparently
> it can be done.  I think there are restrictions on it, though.
>
> DLLs really *are* an awful approximation of SOs :(

However there's hope: DDL.  http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddl

It's not entirely polished, but it's basically a sort of SO implementation
for D on Windows, only it's entirely in userland rather than being part of
the OS.  Some simple tests have shown that it's more or less able to do the
same stuff you can do with SOs.  It takes a little more work but the end
results are much, much better than DLLs could hope to be :)