Linker -how it works

Mike Parker aldacron71 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 05:01:02 PST 2008

Ty Tower wrote:

> now I have no library called " libm" whatever and "libpthread" does not end with ".a" ,rather it ends with "so.0"  . Its full title is libpthread.so.0.
>
> Will the linker still find and use it with that name?

yes, it's a Linux convention. Static libraries (.a) and shared libraries
(.so) are interchangeable.

> Is there somewhere on digitalMars site which explains this linking process - not that gives me a load of B/S of how good it is ?, but which explains how these switches work like "dmd man" for instance

This is not a DMD issue. It's an aspect of the GCC backend that DMD uses
on Linux. You can start here for some info:
http://www.lurklurk.org/linkers/linkers.html#linker2.

Look up the GCC manual (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/) for more details.