Issue: Installing D

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Feb 18 23:29:47 PST 2008

Chris Miller wrote:
> Bill Baxter Wrote:
>
>> Chris Miller wrote:
>>> I've been having some major issues for a long while now trying to install D.  Much of it is because of my library choices, but I don't have a choice as to what libraries I need.
>>>
>>> I've been working to try and get a working installation of D on my Windows Vista workstation.  Whether it's DMD or GDC I don't really care.  My biggest problem is that I need Tango, Derelect, and DDBI.  I've totally given up on finding an IDE by now.
>>>
>>> I've been following the instructions online to the letter (the ones on digitalmars.com) and they keep throwing me grief.  The DInstaller project hasn't been good, since it installs everything to somewhere I can't find.  I got DSSS working once, which was nice...  but then when I tried to build a helloworld.d file it didn't work (tried using rebuild, which is what I would be building larger projects with).
>>>
>>> I can provide further documentation of what I've tried if you like, though it's really just me hitting wall after wall after wall.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time, and thanks in advance for any pointers or help you can give!
>> Do you think it's Vista-specific?
>
> I don't think so, since I'm running my shells as administrator.  I use Cygwin in addition to the normal Windows command prompt, switching to the less-capable windows prompt when necessary.
>
> I know I have something that almost works, since I got it to the point where I have a base install (Phobos, dmd, and nothing else) which can compile a blank D program (void main(){}) without any problems, and UAC doesn't try and badger me.
>
> It's getting Derelect, Tango*, and DDBI as well that's proving to be the hard part.  DWT would be nice, too, but I could do without it if I have to.  Rebuild is also sort of required, since I can't build all this stuff by hand all the time.  That's just raw insanity if you ask me!
>
> * Or Tangobos.  I just need the features from the listed libraries, I don't much care how I get 'em.  I just want to write code now...  I've been beating compilers around for a long time trying to get them to work.  If you have a working setup, man, consider yourself lucky!  You don't know how hard it is to see a beautiful language and not be able to take it for a spin!

I have a Cygwin install too, but I don't trust it for doing D stuff.  Or
rather the D toolchain has so much crufty stuff in it that I don't trust
it to be able to compile from anywhere other than a good ole DOS prompt.

Speaking of crufy toolchain, which directory did you install D stuff
into?  I think C:\dmd is what's recommended -- specifically no spaces of
funky chars in your path.  I've been using f:\usr\pkg\d\dmd as my
install location for a long time with no troubles. (F:\ is a portable
drive.)

I've got other things installed mostly under the dmd imports dir:
f:\usr\pkg\d\dmd\import\tangobos
f:\usr\pkg\d\dmd\import\dfl
f:\usr\pkg\d\dmd\import\tango
f:\usr\pkg\d\dmd\import\derelict