Issue: Installing D

torhu no at spam.invalid
Mon Feb 18 23:56:37 PST 2008

Chris Miller wrote:
> I know I have something that almost works, since I got it to the point where I have a base install (Phobos, dmd, and nothing else) which can compile a blank D program (void main(){}) without any problems, and UAC doesn't try and badger me.
>
> It's getting Derelect, Tango*, and DDBI as well that's proving to be the hard part.  DWT would be nice, too, but I could do without it if I have to.  Rebuild is also sort of required, since I can't build all this stuff by hand all the time.  That's just raw insanity if you ask me!
>
> * Or Tangobos.  I just need the features from the listed libraries, I don't much care how I get 'em.  I just want to write code now...  I've been beating compilers around for a long time trying to get them to work.  If you have a working setup, man, consider yourself lucky!  You don't know how hard it is to see a beautiful language and not be able to take it for a spin!

Setting up a D environment and be able to build apps can be trickier
than with other languagues.  Mostly because there are two competing std
libraries, and because the commonly used build tools are so different
from what people are used to.

One important basic is to figure out how to configure dmd correctly,
mainly the LIB and DFLAGS settings in sc.ini.  I'll just post the link
here, to further insult your intelligence. ;)
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/dcompiler.html#sc_ini

Some random hints:

Don't try to build tango with dsss, IIRC it doesn't work.  Use the batch
files in tango/lib, you just need to run them in alphabetical order.
Then you only need to set up your import (include) and lib paths in
sc.ini to point to tango instead of phobos.

Don't try to use tangobos until you've gotten some general experience
with building D apps and libs.  It can complicate your build process a lot.

And if you post the error messages here or in #D on irc, there's a good
chance someone will spot the problem right away. Been there, done that. :)